Valentina S. Harizanov
Valentina Harizanov currently serves as a Professor of Mathematics. She served as co-director of the GW Center for Quantum Computing, Information, Logic and Topology from 2011 to 2018. In Fall 2020, she was Eisenbud Professor at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley. In Fall 2014, she was a Visiting Professor at the Kurt Gödel Research Center of the University of Vienna in Austria. She received the Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize for Faculty Research in 2016, and the George Washington Award in 2020.
- Mathematical logic
- Computability theory
- Computable model theory
- Computable algebra
- Theoretical computer science
- M.A., Ph.D. 1987, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Countable nonstandard models: following Skolem’s approach, with R. Dimitrov, to appear in: Handbook of the History and Philosophy of Mathematical Practice, Springer.
- Densely computable structures, with W. Calvert and D. Cenzer, Journal of Logic and Computation 22 (2022), pp. 581–607.
- On the computable isomorphism problem for some algebraic structures, with S. Lempp, C. McCoy, A. Morozov and R. Solomon, Archive for Mathematical Logic, published online January 2022.
- Interpreting a field in its Heisenberg group, with R. Alvir, W. Calvert, G. Goodman, J. Knight. A. Morozov, R. Miller, A. Soskova, and R. Weisshaar, Journal of Symbolic Logic, published online December 2021.
- Computability and definability, with T. Ha, L. Marshall and H. Walker, in Structure and Randomness in Computability and Set Theory , World Scientific (2020), pp. 285-355.
- On decidable categoricity and almost prime models, with S. Goncharov and R. Miller, Siberian Advances in Mathematics 30 (2020), pp. 200-212.
- Turing degrees and automorphism groups of substructure lattices, with R. Dimitrov and A. Morozov, Algebra and Logic 59 (2020), pp. 18-32.
- Turing degrees of complete formulas of almost prime models, with S. Goncharov and R. Miller, Algebra and Logic 58 (2019), pp. 282-287.
- Cohesive powers of linear orders, with R. Dimitrov, A. Morozov, P. Shafer, A. Soskova, and S. Vatev, in Computing with Foresight and Industry, Springer (2019), pp.168-180.
- Computability-theoretic categoricity and Scott families, with E. Fokina and D. Turetsky, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic 170 (2019), pp. 699-717.
- Strong jump inversion, with W. Calvert, A. Frolov, J. Knight, C. McCoy, A. Soskova, and S. Vatev, Journal of Logic and Computation 7 (2018), pp.1499-1522.
- Orders on magmas and computability theory, with T. Ha, Journal of Knot Theory and Ramifications 27 (2018), pp. 184001 (1-13).
- Groups with orderings of arbitrary algorithmic complexity, with J. Chubb and M. Dabkowski, in Sets and Computations, World Scientific (2017), pp. 221-251.
- The lattice of computably enumerable vector spaces, with R. Dimitrov, in Computability and Complexity, Springer (2017), pp. 366-393.
- Orbits of maximal vector spaces, with R. Dimitrov, Algebra and Logic 54 (2016), pp. 440-476.
- Logic and Algebraic Structure in Quantum Computing, J. Chubb, A. Eskandarian, and V. Harizanov, editors, Cambridge University Press/ASL, 336 pages, 2016. Introduction
- A (very) brief tour of quantum mechanics, computation, and category theory, with J. Chubb, in Logic and Algebraic Structure in Quantum Computing, Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Automorphism groups of substructure lattices of vector spaces in computable algebra, with R. Dimitrov and A. Morozov, in 12th Conference on Computability in Europe, Springer (2016), pp. 251-260.
- Index sets for n-decidable structures categorical relative to m-decidable presentations, with E. Fokina, S. Goncharov, O. Kudinov, and D. Turetsky, Algebra and Logic 54 (2015), pp. 336-341.
- Turing degrees of the isomorphism types of geometric objects, with W. Calvert and A. Shlapentokh, Computability 3 (2014), pp. 105-134.
- Computable model theory, with E. Fokina and A. Melnikov, in Turing’s Legacy, Cambridge University Press (2014), pp. 124-194.
- Computability-theoretic properties of injection structures, with D. Cenzer and J. Remmel, Algebra and Logic 53 (2014), pp. 39-69.
- Two-to-one structures, with D. Cenzer and J. Remmel, Journal of Logic and Computation 23 (2013), pp. 1195-1223.
- Other publications can be found here.