All instructors teaching classes for the Department of Mathematics comply with university policies as they relate to religious holidays, academic integrity, support for students outside the classroom and security.
University Policy on Religious Holidays:
- Students should notify faculty during the first week of the semester of their intention to be absent from class on their day(s) of religious observance;
- Faculty should extend to these students the courtesy of absence without penalty on such occasions, including permission to make up examinations;
- Faculty who intend to observe a religious holiday should arrange at the beginning of the semester to reschedule missed classes or to make other provisions for their course related activities. NOTE: for other university policies on teaching see Provost website..
The Department of Mathematics fully supports the GW Code of Academic Integrity. It states: “Academic dishonesty is defined as cheating of any kind, including misrepresenting one’s own work, taking credit for the work of others without crediting them and without appropriate authorization and the fabrication of information.” For the remainder of the code, see Student Conduct website.
Support for Students Outside the Classroom
Disability Support Services (DSS)
Any student who may need an accommodation based on the potential impact of a disability should contact the Disability Support Services office at 202-994-8250 in Rome Hall, Suite 102, to establish eligibility and to coordinate reasonable accommodations.
University Counseling Center (UCC)
The University Counseling Center’s 24/7 assistance and referral to address students’ personal, social, career, and study skills problems. Services for students include:
- crisis and emergency mental health consultations
- confidential assessment, counseling services (individual and small group) and referrals go to the UCC Website.
- 24/7 assistance by calling 202-994-5300
In the case of an emergency, if at all possible, the class should shelter in place. If the building that the class is in is affected, follow the evacuation procedures for the building. After evacuation, seek shelter at a predetermined rendezvous location.