Resources for Majors and Minors
Majors and Minors, you are invited to take advantage of the resources of the department. Get to know your professors and fellow students. Meet your peers by joining and participating in our math clubs, both of which are open to all students: the GW Chapter of the Association of Women in Mathematics (also see their Facebook page) and the GW Math and Stat Association. We also have the D.C. Gamma Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honor Society, which is open, by invitation, to our most accomplished majors.
Are you considering an industry or government job that uses mathematics? Would you benefit from establishing contact with someone who knows how math is used outside academia and knows first-hand what math-related jobs are like? Or maybe someone "in the field" to look over your resume to see if it gives the right impression? The GW Mathematics Department and University Career Services have mentoring programs for you! Please send your name and a description of your background and professional interests to Professor Michael Moses firstname.lastname@example.org in the Mathematics Department, or contact Sonya Merrill email@example.com in University Career Services, and they will work to connect you with an appropriate mentor.
We hope that you find the following links helpful. If there are other items that you would like to see on these pages, we would appreciate receiving your suggestions.
- GW Center for Undergraduate Fellowships & Research
- Gateway to Federal Opportunities for STEM Students
Things To Do in Summer
- Internship & Co-op opportunities
- NSA Internships (and Scholarships)
- REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates)
- NSF-Sponsored REU Summer Programs List
- International Mathematical Summer School for Students (for undergraduates in the first 2 years of college)
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics
- Math in Moscow
- Mathematics Advanced Study Semesters (Penn State)
- Junior Program for women (Smith College)
You are Getting a Math Degree. What's Next ?
- Various Math-related Careers
- Teaching careers - Math For America, Teach For America, NYC Teaching Fellows
- Be an Actuary
- Federal Government Jobs
- CIA - opportunities for students
- Financial Mathematics and Engineering Programs
- AfterCollege.com - career networks
- CareerPath - offers job listings from many sources in the U.S.
- Mathematical Contest in Modeling
- The William Lowell Putnam Competition
- Virginia Tech Regional Mathematics Contest